Covid vs. Minorities

An exposè on how the healthcare system treats minorities.

Covid vs. Minorities

Jenna Lowrance, Journalist

Systematic racism is dangerous. There are many examples of this, but more recent examples are showcased in the current unemployment rates. While unemployment rates have skyrocketed for everyone here in the US, the rate of unemployment for African Americans is 4.4% higher. In 2017 the wages of African Americans were 62% of a white American’s wage. Because of the lower wages and higher unemployment rates, black Americans are more likely to live in crowded conditions, making it more difficult to follow social-distancing guidelines.The system is failing them, and that isn’t even the only issue.

Another issue facing the black community today is the fact that they are disproportionately mistrusted and misrepresented in the medical community.According to aamc.org, “Half of white medical trainees believe such myths as black people have thicker skin or less nerve endings than white people.” Reread that sentence. Medical trainees, as in medical students in residency training, really believe that black people don’t feel pain the same as white people. That probably means that African Americans are less likely to receive pain medication as white Americans, but how much less? According to an article by Plos One, indexed by Web of Science as well as many other reliable sources), African American patients are about half as likely to be given pain medication as white patients. Racial bias is dangerous, especially in fields like law enforcement and medicine. During a global pandemic that danger increases tenfold. 

So what steps can we take to help solve this issue? First, we need to address the fact that things like racial bias and white privilege exist. Other strategies include seeing people as individuals instead or stereotypes. Maybe put yourself in their shoes, see them as equal and not less than you. No one is less than you, remember that.