The Forgotten Class of the Pandemic

The Forgotten Class of the Pandemic

Jane Bradlee Forsythe, Media Editor

Senior year. We have been looking forward to this year our whole lives. Our last year of school before we all go our separate ways and never look back. This year was supposed to be bittersweet. So special to us. So meaningful. We’ve always seen senior year in movies to be so memorable and so much fun, but our senior was nothing like that. This year… it’s been awful, to say the least. Not only the school year but the whole year of 2020. It even seems like 2021 will end up going down the same path, if not worse. It stinks – especially the school year. The 2020 graduates had a pretty bad year too with their year being cut short. Everyone felt so sorry for that class. They were honored by having their senior tux & drape portraits displayed on the billboard of I-55. They had yard signs made for each one of them with their senior portraits on them. They even had a whole Facebook group dedicated to them named “Adopt-a-Senior” for individuals to help contribute/purchase things they needed after graduation. They had 75% of a normal school year before COVID-19 hit. Everyone felt so bad for their senior year being cut short. Even we did. But what about the Class of 2021? What about us? We haven’t even had a senior year in general or any ways to make it worthwhile. We have had absolutely nothing even close to a normal school year. This year has been nothing but a joke, in my opinion. I understand that there are certain things we aren’t allowed to do, but there have been little to no alternatives to anything this year. It’s like our school just forgot about us and stopped caring. We have not had one pep rally this year, meaning we had no chance of having a senior battle cry. We haven’t had lip-sync, faculty follies, the talent show, powderpuff, football or basketball homecoming dances, and more. We couldn’t even have a prom. The junior parents – the class of 2021 – had to sponsor it. We also could barely have any meetings for extracurricular activities or clubs. We didn’t have a break. If students wanted to eat breakfast, they would have to get here before school. Also, we had to ask for a senior picnic and a senior walk. We don’t even get an Honors Day or Academic Recognition Banquet. It’s virtual now. It doesn’t stop there. The list goes on and on. Where is our sympathy? Did you forget it’s our last year of high school? Did you forget this is our senior year? We are missing out on what’s supposed to be the most memorable parts of our final year in high school. It just feels like we’re missing out and there’s nothing we can do about it because we can’t. Nobody seems to care about our feelings. We are the Class of the Pandemic. We are the unheard Class of 2021.