Who is Bryan Kohberger?

Who is Bryan Kohberger?

Lily Cravens

Bryan Kohberger is the suspect who has been charged for the murders of four college students in Moscow, Idaho. The students who were killed were Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Ethan Chapin, and Xana Kernodle. Law enforcement officers had investigated the case for over six weeks before Kohberger’s arrest. The 28-year-old was arrested at his home on December 30 in Pennsylvania and a private plane carried him to Pullman, Washington. Kohberger is facing four counts of first-degree murder and a count of felony burglary; he is being held without bail. 

Kohberger graduated from Pleasant Valley High School in Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania in 2013. He took high school law enforcement classes and aspired to be an Army Ranger. He worked in the Pleasant Valley School District as a “casual security officer” after high school. Kohberger finished an associate’s degree in psychology at Northampton Community College in 2018, then completed a bachelor’s degree at DeSales University. Last fall, Kohberger applied for but was denied an internship with the Pullman Police Department. In his application essay, he stated that he was interested in aiding police collect and analyze technological data in public safety operations. He was a Ph.D. criminology student and a teaching assistant at Washington State University’s Pullman campus at the time of his arrest; this school is only 15-minutes away from where the students were murdered. Police confirmed that Kohberger lived in Washington state and had an on-campus apartment at WSU. He was allegedly hiding out at his parents’ home after the murders. 

Internet detectives think Kohberger may have used an alias to post about the murders on Facebook. Reddit users noticed a Facebook user named “Pappa Rodger” comment multiple times in a group that was dedicated to the recent crimes. From November 30, a post from the account read “Of the evidence released, the murder weapon has been consistent as a large fixed blade knife. This leads me to believe they found the sheath.” On January 5, a knife sheath was recovered from the scene. In the r/MoscowMurders Reddit group, one of his posts stated “Killer parked behind the house. Approached property through tree line. Entered sliding door and left it open…” The post continued, detailing key times and locations about the murder. Reddit users believe it was Kohberger, with one user saying “Dude is solving his own crime… Psycho.” Pappa Rodger was removed from the University of Idaho Murders Facebook discussion group at 7:10 in the evening before Kohberger’s arrest. Papa Rodger has not spoken or posted on any form of social media since the arrest.