Should animals be kept in zoos?

Zoos have been around for more than 150 years. Within those years, how many animals have been benefited or disadvantaged? There’s a lot of controversy when it comes to whether or not zoos are good for habituating animals. According to the National Geographic Society, a zoo’s main purpose is to entertain the public. However, in doing so, these animals are forced into crowded enclosures in which they are obligated to perform tricks. These enclosures have limited spaces and are typically small compared to the wild or their natural habitats. This becomes a major problem due to the lack of mental and physical stimulation from being out of the wild. Not only do these animals face unnatural living spaces, but they are also more prone to stress from their boring enclosures. According to the National Institute of Health, nearly 84% of zoo animals are reported weight loss due to stress and unnatural environments. However, with the 2,400 zoos located in the United States, they provide a sanctuary for plenty of wildlife. Zoos contribute to biodiversity which means keeping a variety of species on Earth for years to come. Many species before arriving at a zoo are endangered by poaching, habitat loss, starvation, or natural predators. Nearly 100 to 10,000 species become extinct each year without the helping hands of a zoo.  According to the Association of Zoos, nearly 800,000 animals are placed in zoos due to the challenging environments they were born into. Species like the black-footed ferrets or the Przewalski’s horse were saved from extinction. Zoos offer breeding programs to help threatened animals expand their species numbers enormously. Most zoos have a zoological veterinarian that allows the wildlife to receive the best care and medicine available. In reflection, zoos keep a strong hold on many childhood memories. However, we truly never understood what exactly these animals go through. Although their freedom is stripped away, other advantages arise in the making which is why this is such a controversial topic. After reading, do you think zoos are a life saver or a life waster?