The Student News Site of Dyer County School High School

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Literary Corner

Book Review: Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Today I’m going to discuss a book called Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid, and why I recommend reading this book, without spoiling it. This book is categorized under the genres of historical fiction, saga, psychological fiction, and domestic fiction. These genres are all very versatile and could easily appeal to a variety of audiences. It has many aspects of romance, drama, mystery, etc. while also having themes of self-acceptance and self journeys. It touches on a large variety of topics- some more sensitive than others- and is so deeply personal that you will feel like you are reading someone’s diary.
The way this book is written is so captivating and was one of the main aspects that pulled me in from the first page. It switches between timelines and points of view throughout all the chapters- going between the hourly times throughout one single day, and flashbacks that cover multiple years of the past. I’ve read multiple books from this author, and Malibu Rising has easily been one of the fastest ones to pull me in and keep me wanting to turn the page. It has very similar notes to another book by this same author, Daisy Jones & The Six, and I would definitely recommend this book if you enjoyed that book or the TV series adaptation of that book.
The main things you need to know about this book before you check it out are that it takes place in mid 80’s Malibu, follows a surfer super-model and her siblings as our main characters, the majority of the book all takes place in one night, it involves the celebrity/groupie scene, and it will have you thoroughly emersed just from the first line. Every character in this book has their own unique, personal backstory and inner monologues we get let in on as we continue reading. This book is written in a way that perfectly spotlights and tells the story of all the characters and will definitely leave you feeling attached to them.
Taylor Jenkins Reid is an exceptional author for beginner readers who potentially think reading is “boring” or “hard to get into”. She encapsulates readers from the very first pages of her books and this book especially is an example of that. For me, this book was genuinely different from anything else I’ve read and I enjoyed every aspect of reading it. I think this book definitely checks every box when it comes to a thoroughly good book. Have fun reading!