The Student News Site of Dyer County School High School

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Literary Corner

College Decisions

College+Decisions

Since graduation is coming up, let’s take a minute to talk about College life. Lots of different things play roles in making the college decision, such as dorms, scholarships, location, or size. Some people like the idea of going to a big party school, but others don’t. That’s why there are so many different choices of where to go to college. The SEC schools that are most popular around here are The University of Tennesee at Knoxville, Mississippi State University, Ole Miss, and The University of Alabama.  Other popular schools that people attend are; Union University, The University of Tennesse at Martin, Bethel University, and Arkansas State.

Although these schools are all in the SEC they are very unique. UT Knoxville, also known as the University of Tennesee, is a public research university located in Knoxville, Tennesee. It offers a wide range of academic programs and has a strong emphasis on research and community engagement. Ole Miss, officially known as the University of Mississippi, is a public research university located in Oxford, Mississippi. It’s known for its beautiful campus and strong programs in areas like business, law, and journalism. Mississippi State University, also known as MSU, is a public land-grant research university located in Starkville, Mississippi. It offers a variety of academic programs and is particularly known for strong programs in agriculture, engineering, and veterinary medicine. The University of Alabama is a public research university located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. It has a vibrant campus community and offers a wide range of academic programs, including strong programs in business, engineering, and health sciences. These universities have their unique strengths and opportunities for students.

The SEC schools are a lot more expensive than schools like UT Martin for example. The education may not be much different so you are paying for the experience. Some students go off to other states and attend colleges there, or they get athletic scholarships to play somewhere far away. Things that play major roles in choosing a college are dorm rooms, cost, the atmosphere, and scholarships. Most colleges have dorms with two beds in them that two people will share and a communal bathroom like at UT Knoxville. Other places like Union University have a living room, kitchen, two baths, and 4 bedrooms all connected.

Now let’s talk about other popular schools that are not in the SEC. UT Martin, or the University of Tennessee at Martin, is a public university located in Martin, Tennessee. It offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs in fields like agriculture, business, education, and engineering. Union University is a private Christian university located in Jackson, Tennessee. It has a strong academic reputation and offers a range of programs in areas like nursing, business, education, and the arts. Bethel University is also a Christian university but is located in McKenzie, Tennessee. It offers a variety of degree programs, including options for traditional and non-traditional students. Arkansas State University, often referred to as A-State, is a public research university located in Jonesboro, Arkansas. It offers a wide range of programs in business, education, and health sciences. Deciding on where to go to college can be hard so take the time to make the right choice. After all, you will be spending the next 4 years there.