Ethan Tolbert signs with Dyersburg State

Gabriel Jackson, Sports Editor

As graduation gets near, Dyer County senior Ethan Tolbert knows his plans after high school. Tolbert has decided to continue his basketball career at the college level with the Dyersburg State Eagles.

Tolbert played varsity all four years and was named to the all-district team every year including being named the 2022 District 13AAA MVP.

Tolbert has also played in the regional tournament all four seasons.

Tolbert led Dyer County in scoring, rebounding, and charges taken his junior and senior years.

Dyer County head coach Derrek McCord said of Tolbert, “Ethan Tolbert has been a tremendous leader and player for us. He’s been great for our program both on and off the court. I think his future is very bright in college basketball. I think Dyersburg State is just a stepping stone, and that’s the great thing about junior college is that it opens up recruiting again. It wouldn’t surprise me if he springboarded into a Division I or II program.”

McCord continued, “One of the toughest players we’ve had. He can score in a lot of ways and is a great three-point shooter and great around the basketball. He was our primary option on offense last year and then he set the school record for drawing charges on the defensive end. He is really a complete player, great kid, great family. He’s going to be missed and he has some pretty big shoes to fill. The future is bright and we’re excited for him as he moves on in his college basketball career.”