Taiwan Enterovirus D68 Break Out

Taiwan Enterovirus D68 Break Out

Brooklynn Barbee, Journalist

At the beginning of January, a 4-year-old girl in southern Taiwan, developed cold symptoms on January 5 and her parents did not seek medical attention. Two days later after developing more severe symptoms of fever, shortness of breath, and abdominal pain, her parents took her to the doctor. She was sent home but soon returned the next day because the symptoms were not easing. After a reexamination, After examination, asthma and myocarditis were reported and she was transferred to the intensive care unit for more serious treatment.

Testing confirmed she was infected with enterovirus D68. Enterovirus D68 is a rare virus that is suspected to be a polio-like disorder called acute flaccid myelitis. It affects the nervous system, specifically the area of the spinal cord called gray matter, which causes the muscles and reflexes in the body to become weak, and if severe enough, can cause paralysis. The hospital reported that the enterovirus infection was complicated by severe illness. After treatment, the patient was in stable condition and was discharged from the hospital. She has now returned to normal life.

According to the data from the CDC, as of February 6, 2023, last week, there were a total of 1,330 outpatient and emergency visits due to strands of enterovirus in Taiwan. Making the increase from the previous week 42.6%. Schools have been closed but are planning to attempt reopening next week. The resumption of active student activities may increase the risk of epidemic transmission. It is good to remember that enterovirus D68 is transmitted through fecal-oral, droplet, or contact. The symptoms are fever, runny nose, and cough, which are common with typical enteroviruses. A small number of patients may develop complications such as pneumonia, encephalitis, and limb paralysis.