Two High School Athletes Killed in Sledding Accident

Lily Cravens

Two star athletes from Fairbury, Illinois, died on March 19th in a sledding accident at a ski resort in Colorado. The boys, Dylan Bazzell and Drew Fehr, were on their spring break from Prairie Central High School. They hit a snowbank at the bottom of a halfpipe, which launched them into the air. According to the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, the crash happened at Copper Mountain Ski Resort in Frisco at 8:35 PM. Police said “The two individuals came down hard on the ice below, causing blunt force trauma.” First responders were called to the scene, but the two boys were soon pronounced dead. Police reported the victims were 17 and 18 years old, but did not release their names at the time. The victims were confirmed to be Bazzell and Fehr after a letter was sent to the community the following Monday. 

Bazzell and Fehr were both high school seniors that played basketball and football. Earlier this month, Bazzell was named to the Associated Press All-State Team, according to the Pontiac Daily Leader. He was a wide receiver, defensive back, and the kicker for his football team. Fehr, football team captain, logged 1,439 rushing yards, 21 touchdowns, and 98 tackles this past season. An investigation is still ongoing by the sheriff’s office. Per CNN’s Amanda Jackson, Prairie Central Community Unit School District Number 8’s Superintendent Paula Crane said “Both were great students, talented athletes, and most importantly amazing people. They were role models for all who knew them, especially our young athletes throughout the district. The Prairie Central Community continues to mourn their loss, and will support their families, our staff members, and our students throughout the grieving process.”