Second GOP Debate: What Happended

Who won and who said what?
Getty Images/iStockphoto
Man And Woman Politician Standing At A Podium Debating. Half Length, Isolated On White Color Background. Vector, Illustration, Flat Design, Character.

Everyone knows about the 2024 election but few people know all of the candidates. As of now, most people are treating it as a second Biden v. Trump showoff. However, there is quite a bit more to it. Between indictments and scandals on both sides, the debates are important to pay attention to. 

At the second republican debate, the candidates were taking shots at former president Trump, left and right. Presidential hopeful Chris Christie went as far as to call the former president “Donald Duck” since he wasn’t at the debate. All of the candidates appeared to call him a coward. They each claimed any of the people there would be a better option than Trump since they showed up and he didn’t. 

Each of the claims that Trump is a coward comes from the idea that he is hiding. As of now, his claim is that he is not at the debates due to his indictments. The other candidates claim he is not going to the debates because he is scared he cannot compete with the other candidates. Trump has responded to these claims stating it was much more important for him to save the auto workers (referring to the auto strikes that are currently ongoing.

Aside from the shots at the former president, the debate commenced as one would expect. There were several shots at current President Biden. The shots were largely about the economy and they proceeded to speak on how they would fix it. They all had similar ideas for each topic. 

The largest difference between the opposing candidates throughout the debate was how well they maintained composure. Many people are saying Nikki Haley won the debate since she remained composed far more than the others. Desantis was not declared the loser of the debate, but many agree he did not do as well as the others. There was bickering between the opponents, as expected, but many tried to seem professional. 

Paying attention to the debates is important to know what those running are running on. While they had similar ideas, they all had minute differences that would make a preference for one over another. While many republican voters have already decided to vote for Trump, it is important to listen to all views and make an educated decision. After all, the candidates are the future of our country.