The Student News Site of Dyer County School High School

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Literary Corner

A Creative Actor: Jim Carrey

A Creative Actor: Jim Carrey

January 17, 1962, a creative actor was born in New Market, Ontario Canada. James Eugene Carrey, also known as Jim, grew up in a poverty-stricken household. His mother, Kathleen Carrey was a stay-at-home mom and suffered from many chronic health issues while his father, Percey Carrey was a saxophone player. At only 15 years old Jim Carrey had dropped out of school to become a janitor in a factory to help get his family financially better. However, these efforts were not enough. His father soon lost his job and the Carrey family moved to the suburbs of Toronto where they lived in tents. Instead of keeping anger built up, Jim Carrey turned to humor instead. At an early age, he started to make silly faces in the mirror. He would later send a resume to producers at the Carol Burnett Show at just the age of ten. Jim Carrey finally got a chance to perform his stand up in Yuk-Yuk’s comedy club in Toronto, Canada. According to Carrey, he was practically “booed” off the stage for his “Corny Act.” At just nineteen years old, e moved to Hollywood, and would soon obtain his citizenship in 2004. Jim Carrey’s first leading role came in 1985 in FInders Keepers” following another leading role in Once Bitten. In 1996 Jim Carrey landed a role in “The Cable Guy”, earning him twenty million dollars. This became the largest upfront amount of cash that was reported for a comedian actor. After earning a living by acting, he became known best for his impressions and high energy. However, later on in his career, he begins to suffer from depression. Most believed it had to do with the situations he faced in his early childhood years. Others believed it was because Carrey was diagnosed with ADHD which often comes with side effects of depression. In the early 2000’s, Carrey landed another major role. While acting in the Grinch, Carrey received training from the CIA to play his part in the Grinch. It took a total of two hours to put on the costume, making Jim Carrey a very determined actor. Other well-known movies Jim Carrey stars in but not limited to include: Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Bruce Almighty, Mask, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Dumb and Dumber. Just recently, Jim Carrey announced a potential retirement of his acting career. Carrey states, “I’m being fairly serious, yeah” while being interviewed. He also states, “It depends if the angels brought some sort of script that’s written in gold ink that says to me that it’s going to be really important for people to see, I might continue down the road.” He expresses how he’s taking a break and has done enough. Carrey hopes with this retirement, he can keep up with his painting hobby. Carrey states, “I really like my quiet life, and I really like putting paint on canvas ”Jim Carrey loves painting because it allows him to connect more to his spiritual side. Throughout his entire acting career, Carrey won more than 40 awards. He was awarded the Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture for The Truman Show in 1999 and The Man on the Moon in 2000. Jim Carrey has earned a name for himself and has a 180 million dollar net worth. He sets a positive example; showing others it’s possible to follow your dreams no matter how or where you grew up. Even though Jim e is leaving his acting career, his lively and humorous personality will stick around for years to come.