The Student News Site of Dyer County School High School

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Literary Corner

5 Holidays Celebrated in October

Boss’s Day- Celebrated on October 16th

Boss’s Day is to honor the accomplishments of bosses around the world. In 1958, this holiday was created by Patricia Bays Haraski; she used her father’s birthday as the official date of Boss’s Day. Haraski created this holiday to improve relationships between employees and their supervisors, by giving employees a chance to recognize those in a supervising position. Though this holiday isn’t nationwide, it’s celebrated in England, Australia, South Africa, India, and the United States. If the holiday falls on a weekend, it’s celebrated on the nearest work day. Fun fact: Hallmark produced the first Boss’s Day cards in 1979.

Apple Day- Celebrated on October 21st

In 1990, Apple Day was created by Common Ground, a charity organization in the United Kingdom. By the early 2000s, the holiday was celebrated in more than 600 events around the United Kingdom. Apples Day was created to represent the diversity within apples. Apples symbolize knowledge and health which is why apples are so highly valued on this holiday. Apple Day also represents the diversity and heritage within the different communities. The first Apple Day was held in a London apple market in Covent Gardens. This was the first time in sixteen years that apples were brought back to market. Many celebrate this holiday by cooking freshly baked apple pies. Fun fact: more than 7,5000 different varieties of apples are grown across the globe.

National Chocolate Day- Celebrated on October 28th

National Chocolate Day was established in 2009. This holiday celebrates the anniversary of chocolate’s introduction to Europe in the 1550s. National Chocolate Day represents the cultural, historical, and culinary impact of chocolate. Allowing individuals to appreciate the craftsmanship and artistry that takes place when making chocolate. This Holiday can be celebrated by baking your favorite chocolate treats or visiting chocolate bakeries. However, this holiday gets mistaken for other chocolate holidays which causes fewer countries to celebrate. Ghana, The United States, and Latina are currently the main countries to celebrate National Chocolate Day on October 28th. Fun Fact: Chocolate has health benefits in reducing the risk of heart disease by improving blood flow.

National Fetch Day- Celebrated on October 15th

This holiday was made an official holiday in 2018, being that it’s the third Saturday in October. Nation Fetch Day was created on the 20th birthday of Chuckit. Chuckit is a fetch-launcher company that makes it easier to play fetch with pets. This company was invented around the 1990s and gained widespread recognition. Chunckit provided a great way to get your pets exercise giving them a chance to release all their energy. This Holiday provides pets and their owners an enjoyable time to spend together. Fun Fact: National Fetch Day originated in Texas and then became popular all over the United States.

National Bring Your Teddy Bear to Work Day- Celebrated on the 2nd Wednesday of October

National Bring Your Teddy Bear to Work Day has been celebrated for over 20 years. This holiday was created to provide comfort and encouragement to those who need it. Even young children celebrate this holiday by bringing their teddy bears to school with them. Teddy bears set a reminder that you are never alone. In 1902, teddy bears received their story in Smedes, Mississippi. While on a hunting trip, President Theodore Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear cube and insisted it was unsportsmanlike. Soon after this event became popular; giving Morris Muchton from Germany and Richord Sheiff from the United States the teddy bear idea. Fun Fact: Early teddy bears were made to look like real bears, with extended snouts and beady eyes. However, modern teddy bears have larger eyes and smaller noses.