A Catastrophic Impact

7:40 p.m The control town at John C. Tune Airport received a message reading the following:

Air Traffic Control: “Are you trying to land at John Tune.”

Pilot: “I’m declaring an emergency,” the pilot said in a minute-long audio clip provided to the Tennessean.

Pilot: “My engine turned off. I’m at 1,600. I’m going to be landing… I don’t know where.”

An unfortunate event occurred in Nashville, Tennessee on March 4, 2024, which resulted in the unexpected death of five people. The plane crashed near the shoulder of Interstate 40 East in West Nashville in a grassy median behind a Costco. Police revealed that the crash didn’t result in any vehicle or building along the interstate being damaged. However, the plane crash resulted in a partial closure of the highway shortly after. The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) announced all lanes of traffic reopened shortly after 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday, March 5. According to the Nashville Fire Department firefighter, Kendra Loney, “The impact was catastrophic and didn’t leave any survivors.” This reveals the intensity of the plane crash especially when it was recorded to have exploded into flames upon impact. 

When firefighters arrived at the crash site, Loney said, they were met with heavy flames but were able to extinguish the crash site and preserve evidence for the investigation.

Videos from witnesses show the aircraft engulfed in flames and smoke, as well as images shared by police that capture the aircraft’s structure surrounded by first responders on a grassy roadside.

Live traffic cameras also showed a large emergency vehicle response blocking all eastbound travel lanes near the crash site. Police have not been able to publicly identify the victims and are still working to determine where the plane originated from. The National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Aviation Administration will investigate the cause of the crash in hopes of identifying the victims. They hope the investigation will only take 12-14 months to give families peace of mind for their deceased loved ones.