Lakewood Church Shooting

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office said deputies responded to a shooting at Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas not long after 2 p.m. on February 11th, 2024. Police say a woman dressed in a trench coat, with a backpack, was accompanied by a seven-year-old child. The woman was later identified as Genesse Ivonne Moreno, 36. Genesse opened fire in the church critically injuring 2, a 57-year-old man who was shot in the hip and is now discharged, and her seven-year-old child, who was shot in the head and is currently fighting for his life. Police say it is unclear who had shot the boy. Investigators identified that Genesse used an AR-15 initially for the attack, but also had a .22 Caliber Rifle but did not fire the weapon. The motive is still unclear, as Moreno has a background of mental health issues and earlier convictions of assault, weapons, and drug charges. The suspect was later shot by a 38-year-old agent of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, and a 28-year-old Houston police officer, both of the men were off duty and were hired as church security at the time. After being shot by the two officers, Moreno told officers she had a bomb, after a search of her backpack and vehicle, law enforcement declared that there was no explosive. Moreno was pronounced dead at the scene.