Life With Incarcerated Parents

A silent victim many forget, children who never felt a hug or have been told “I love you” by an incarcerated parent. Children of incarcerated parents bear the pain of attachment issues, increasing their risk of following behind their troubled parents. Correction Facilities, Michigan’s Department of Correction promotes fundraisers/donations for the program, One Day With God to prevent these children from suffering. This program supports children of incarcerated parents by steering them towards a positive future, enabling these children to closely relate with their parents serving a sentence.

More than 60 percent of parents are in state prison

More than 80 percent of parents are in a federal prison 

These prisons for incarcerated parents are located 100 miles from their home. Unfortunately, many parents are left with a financial burden-making it difficult for a visit to be made. Forfurally, The program, One Day With God, pushed this issue away for many families. The day before the children visit the Department of Correction in Michigan, the fathers receive a seminar on fatherhood. Many who enter this program never get to meet their biological parents due to their actions which landed them long jail sentences. One prisoner in particular, Johnny Trey Williams, is serving a 23-year sentence for second-degree murder and never had the chance to meet his daughter Arkinya. During the visit of the children, Johnny Trey stated, “Getting to hold his daughter for the first time” This reveals the emotion this program brings to the children as well as the parents involved. Arkinya, his daughter, was able to read a sentimental letter she had written for her father expressing her excitement to be able to see her father for the first time. 

Another prisoner, Jeremiah Mathews, has been in and out of jail for 12 years for burglary charges. Resulting in his two children, Ethan Buckner (7 years old) and Amaya Mattews (9 years old), waiting six months without a visit before the program. The children lived a total of three hours away from the jail their father was incarcerated in which plays a role in the wait to see their father. Jeremiah stated, “You just get scared, I know my daughter forgives.” This was stated after being asked about seeing his children. A comment shared by his daughter, Amaya, states, “Like, I’m not going to trust you no more because you promised me” This represents what life is like for a child whose parent is incarcerated and dealing with the emotions of the traumatic experiences. Though formally this opportunity for Jeremiah made him want to work hard to stay out of trouble. 

Many would ask why give these prisons that are convicted murderers and felons this kind of perk. Many would ask why they deserve this. Though this program assists the prison its main goal is to bring about the good in a terrible situation and give children a chance to meet their parents. During this program, many parents try to cram years of parenting into a couple of houses. Children now get the chance to put a face to a voice over the phone and cherish a moment that will be carried with them throughout their entire lives.