The Student News Site of Dyer County School High School

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Literary Corner

Why Animal Testing should be Illegal Part Two

Animals are not required for every scientific study. There are some alternative test subjects for these studies, such as test-tube tests for toxicity using human cells and computer simulations that can be as effective as animals (Cobb). Only about 70 percent of agents that cause cancer in mice will also cause it in other animals such as rats (Cobb). Many conclusions have been reached that studying animals may not hold for humans. For example, in 1990, David Wiebers from the Mayo Clinic reported that out of twenty-five drugs found to reduce the damage of a stroke in animals, these drugs were not effective in humans (Cobb). Animals, although similar, differ from humans in cell structure and organ systems. 

According to Stanford Medicine, since animals have a shorter life span than humans they can be studied throughout their entire life. Imagine living in a lab your whole life being poked and prodded. The welfare of the animal is the main priority. Many believe that animals have the right to live freely, be treated with respect, and not suffer for human benefit. The conditions in testing facilities can often be harsh and experiments can cause pain, distress, and even death. 

The ethical standpoint on animal testing is major. The concept of causing an animal pain and suffering for the sake of human benefit doesn’t sit well for many people. Animals are sentient beings with the capacity to feel, and causing them distress for experiments is morally wrong. This is rooted in the belief that all creatures have value and deserve to live free from harm. 

Some other reasons to stop animal testing are cost, public opinion, and innovation. Cost is a major factor, maintaining a lab with animals can be very costly. Public opinion is shifting because not many people like the idea of animals suffering for the sake of lipstick or laundry detergent. Many people will be happy if laws to ban animal testing are pushed. Banning animal testing could push companies to be more innovative. These companies would have to find new ways to ensure product safety without the use of animals. This could lead to more advanced science and a new wave of safer, cruelty-free products. 

In conclusion, making animal testing illegal is about our ethical views and values. As a society that cares about welfare and ethical treatment, banning these tests would show the world that we are serious about protecting all living creatures, especially when it’s for something as non-essential as cosmetics or household cleaning products. As well as encouraging the development of new technologies for a different approach to research and testing without animal subjects. It’s very clear that banning animal testing is a strong subject that does not receive the attention it deserves. It aligns with public agreement, promotes scientific innovation, and could lead to more reliable and humane research. It could be a step forward to a more compassionate and successful future. It’s about the welfare of the animals and what kind of world we want to live in.