Free Lunch & Breakfast Extended For All Students

Kristen Farley, Photographer

Back in March, schools were let out and all classes became online due to the outbreak of COVID-19. During that time, schools were giving the option for parents to come and pick up food for their children on designated days. This included both breakfast and lunch. Now that school has started back, the USDA has decided to extend free lunch and breakfast for all kids through December 31st, 2020. 

“As our nation reopens and people return to work, it remains critical our children continue to receive safe, healthy, and nutritious food. During the COVID-19 pandemic, USDA has provided an unprecedented amount of flexibilities to help schools feed kids through the school meal programs, and today, we are also extending summer meal program flexibilities for as long as we can, legally and financially.” “We appreciate the incredible efforts by our school food service professionals year in and year out, but this year we have an unprecedented situation. This extension of summer program authority will employ summer program sponsors to ensure meals are reaching all children – whether they are learning in the classroom or virtually – so they are fed and ready to learn, even in new and ever-changing learning environments.”

– Usda.gov