Gabby Petito Case Part 2


Emily Pyskacek

Where was he? Did he leave her to go somewhere else? Was he missing? Or was he just hiding? On August 17, Laundrie flew home to North Port, Florida, from Salt Lake City, which is where he left his wife and the van. Laundrie claims he fled for home “to obtain some items, along with emptying and closing the storage unit to save money as he and Petito contemplated extending the road trip.” This was said by Laundries’ family lawyer, Steven Bertolino. He stayed at his home in Florida for 6 days, and on the 23rd, returned to his fiance in Salt Lake City. The next day, the couple checked out of a hotel room in Salt Lake City. Nobody knows why they checked into a room in the first place. They had been in the van for about a month and a half now, so why would they suddenly want a hotel room? Maybe for Petito to stay in while Laundrie was back home getting more things for their trip? We don’t know. However, we do know that this day, August 24th, when she checked out of the hotel, was the last day Gabby Petito was seen alive. Petitos’ mother, Nicole Schmidt, claims she spoke to Gabby on facetime as they left the hotel that day. The next day, on August 25, Schmidt claims to have spoken to Petito, claiming that she and Laundrie were leaving Utah and headed to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks in Wyoming. This was also the day she posted her final Instagram photo in front of the Monarch Mural in Ogden, Utah. In a later interview after everything happened, Schmidt claims, “She sounded good and excited to continue her trip and excited to start her YouTube channel,” “She seemed OK.” Gabby and her parents kept in contact regularly. Gabby was always sending pictures of the trip and updates on where they were going, however, this regular contact abruptly stopped towards the end of August. Schmidt claims she had received only a few text messages within a couple of days period after their last call. The text messages said that they were in Yosemite National Park in California, and they didn’t have any cell service. There were never any photos or calls sent to Schmidt, leaving it unclear whether it was Petito who sent those messages. August 27th, federal and state authorities came out and said that investigators believe Petito disappeared near the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping area in Bridger-Teton National First in Wyoming. The Denver FBI asked the public for help via Twitter. Asking that if they had seen or heard anything from Gabby or her fiance, or had seen their vehicle, to contact police or the FBI immediately. On August 29th, there was a TikTok posted by a potential witness, Miranda Baker, claiming that she and her boyfriend gave Laundrie a ride in Grand Teton National Park on August 29th. Baker claims that Brian told her and her boyfriend that he had been camping alone for days while Petito worked on their social media page from their van. Baker says that “When he got out, he was thankful and was kind of in a hurry. He said he was going across the street into the parking lot to find someone else to give him a ride. But when we looked back 10 or 15 seconds after, he was gone.” Police report claims that the next day, only Laundrie was found returned to his home in Florida, in the van under Petito’s name. An engaged couple goes on a predicted 4-month road trip, and only one of them returns. Where is Petito?