Boys and Girls District and Region tournaments

Caitlyn Berry, Sports Editor

Coming into February, tournament time for high school basketball starts. District season begins and everyone is playing hard to win. For the Dyer County High School boys basketball team, they had a good start. In district season play, our boys went 5-1, making them #1 in the district season play. They were ranked first place, therefore they got to play the number four seed to kick off the district tournament. In a major upset, Dyer County took a loss to Crockett county 75-68. This made the boys unable to play in the championship game. However, the boys could still fight for 3rd place. This would put them in a better seed for the region tournament. The Dyer County choctaws played in a consolation game versus Obion. They won this game 67- 59, making them 3rd in the district tournament. Although the Dyer County choctaws didn’t receive any team awards, a few of our players still got recognized. Bralyn Taylor was awarded District MVP and All-Tournament team. Marcus Martin and Jamin Gauldin were awarded All-District. The Dyer County Choctaws finished 3rd place, therefore they would play Haywood in the first round of the Region tournament. In a tough match up, the Dyer County Choctaws lost to Haywood 85-63, ending their season. 

As for the Lady Choctaws, they didn’t start off as well. In district season they went 3-3, finishing #3 for district season play. They had to play the #2 seed, which was Dyersburg, to kick off the district tournament. The Lady Choctaws took a hard loss to Dyersburg, 50-44. This also made them unable to compete for the District championship. However, they did fight to be third place so they would have a higher seed. The Lady Choctaws played Obion in the consolation game. They won this game 47-41, making them 3rd in the district. Although they didn’t win, many of our players got personal awards. Caitlyn Berry, Tanner Work, and Paris Halliburton were awarded All-District. And to add to personal awards, Eden LaRue was honored as All-Tournament. Finishing 3rd in the District tournament, the Dyer County Lady Choctaws would play Covington in the first round of Region tournament. The Lady Choctaws fought hard and won the game 50-38. This moved the Lady Choctaws on to the semi-finals. In a do or die game, the Lady Choctaws would play Crockett County. The game went back and forth, but the Lady Choctaws pulled out the win 48-45. This was a big game for the Choctaws. Now, the Lady Choctaws will play in the Region championship game against Dyersburg on March 1st. They also will get a substrate game, if they win, they get another run to state.