The Willow Project

What is the Willow Project? First, let me tell you how it threatens the lives of thousands of animals. This project was passed to drill for oil in the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska. Many people are probably thinking, “So? How does that affect me?” This oil drilling project will release around 260 million metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere over the next 30 years, only adding to greenhouse gasses and increasing global warming. Climate change will be close to irreversible because of the Willow Project. This reserve is one of the most promising regions in the U.S. for new oil, however, it is also a key habitat for polar bears as well as tens of thousands of migrating caribou and waterfowl. This pipeline is estimated to cost around 8 to 10 billion U.S. dollars. Many nature activists and young adults tried to halt the conformation of the pipeline. On April 3rd, 2023 the judge rejected the idea of halting the oil pipeline because it has too much potential of benefitting the U.S. Government. In 2020, President Biden promised to decrease oil drilling on federal land and to pull away from burning fossil fuels as much as possible. He didn’t keep his promise, the Biden Administration approved the oil pipeline on March 13th, 2023 after 5.6 million people petitioned against it. This project will benefit the economy while destroying the environment and the habitats of thousands of animals. The Willow Project will produce 576 million barrels of oil over 30 years and, according to ConocoPhillips, The Willow Project will generate between 8 to 17 billion in new tax revenue. This pipeline will support America’s oil industry all while destroying habitats. Global warming and climate change have heated up the planet steadily over the past 20 years. On September 6th, the Biden administration said that it would prohibit oil and gas drilling in 13 million acres of wilderness on the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska and canceled all drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. These new regulations in Alaska and the Arctic may be the Biden administration’s way to get in the “good graces” of young adults and activists. These newly compromised regulations will also cancel seven remaining oil and gas leases on the land that were authorized under former President Trump. Yes, this helps the environment and the habitats in that area, however, these new regulations do not restrict the administration’s previous approval of ConocoPhillips co to continue with the Willow oil drilling project in the same area.