Carrington Newell Awarded Most Valuable Choctaw

Maddie Warren

The Most Valuable Choctaw Ceremony took place on October 28th this year in the theatre at Dyer County High School.  This award is given to the best all-around student of the senior class, based on their academic achievement as well as their involvement at school and in the community. The nominees were voted on by their class and the winner was chosen by the teachers. This year’s nominees were Miss Hannah Barham, Miss Ally Caviness, Miss Shayla Hanson, Mr. Tanner Hicks, and Mr. Carrington Newell. This year’s recipient was Carrington Newell. Carrington is President of his senior class and has served as an officer on student council all four years of high school. He has accumulated over 140 hours of community service through the Leo club, Keys club, and Rotary club. Carrington is on the ACT Wall of Honor and has been in the top ten percent of his class academically all four years as well. He is also on the Dyer County High School Golf team and has qualified for district and regionals for the past two years. Carrington is also a member of the science club. He plans to attend the University of Tennessee at Martin next fall. His picture will be displayed in the front office until the class of 2023 Most Valuable Choctaw is announced next year.