WTSBOA Festival and Peabody Invitational

Brooke Wilson, Fine Arts Editor

This past Saturday, September 28th, The Sound Of The Choctaws Marching Band performed in the WTSBOA Marching Festival at Peabody High School in Trenton, Tennessee!

Let this be known- it was HOT! But don´t worry, they didn´t let that get the best of them. The band performed like it was a breezy autumn day, except it wasn´t. It was so hot that the band competed without wearing their typical Choctaw jackets!

band warming up before competing

While the festival is not technically a competition, the band was still judged and received placements. Despite the heat, the band performed beautifully and received the placements of Superior Field Commander, Superior Percussion, Superior Band, and Excellent Color Guard! These ratings are given on a scale of 1-5, with a name correlating to each number and 1 being the highest. In this placement that means the band received a level 1 on Field Commander, Percussion, and Band. Also, the band received a level 2 rating for Color Guard.

In the later part of the day, the band competed in the Peabody Marching Invitational at Peabody High School! The band competed against 10 bands in their division. The bands in small division were Bolivar, Ripley, South Side, Halls, JCS, Milan, Dyersburg, West Carroll, Camden, Huntingdon, and Dyer County. The band also competed against 5 bands in their class. The bands in Class 2AA were Milan, Dyersburg, West Carroll, Camden, Huntingdon, and Dyer County.  There were 8 bands in large division, but Dyer County didn´t compete against them. The bands in large division were Chester County, Obion County, Tupelo, South Gibson, Bartlett, Arlington, Lake Cormorant, and Adamsville.

field view, band performing

In competition, Dyer County had 2 separate placements- class and division. In class, the band placed 3rd in visual effect, 3rd in music effect, 2nd in percussion, 2nd in color guard, 1st in drum major, and 3rd in class. In division, the band placed 5th is visual effect, 3rd is music effect, 2nd in percussion, 2nd in color guard, 1st in drum major, 4rd in total, and 3rd in small division.

Congratulations band on your dedication and hard work! Keep it up.

Dyer County will compete this Saturday, October 5th at the Huntingdon Marching Invitational at Huntingdon High School in Huntingdon, Tennessee!