An Unexpected Death: Matthew Perry

On August 19, 1969, a well-known American-Canadian actor was born in Williamstown, Massachusetts. Matthew Langford Perry was only nine months old when his parents, Suzanne Marie Morrison and John Bennett Perry filed their divorce. His mother, Marie moved to Ottawa Ontario to start a new life. Matthew Perry attended Rockcliffe Park Public School where he would soon spring into trouble. By the age of ten, Matthew was stealing money, smoking, failing school, and starting fights. Throughout his early teen years and young adulthood, Perry would drink heavily every day from the age of fourteen to eighteen. At the age of fourteen, his grandpa began to teach him tennis. Matthew practiced ten hours a day becoming increasingly talented in tennis and even became nationally ranked in Canada. Perry even considered pursuing a career as a professional tennis player. Matthew states, “Mom and I were fighting all the time; tennis was the only place I was happy.” Although Matthew seemed to be living a happy life, he was extremely unhappy. This caused Matthew to move in with his father, John, in Los Angeles. This move led to Matthew pursuing a passion for acting just like his father. While in Los Angeles, Matthew studied in many acting schools and graduated in 1987. Matthew Perry received his first acting role in 240-Robert in 1979. Acting alongside his father, Matthew Perry gained a name for himself. Starring in: 17 Again (2009), Fool Rush In (1997), and The Ron Clark Story (2006). Matthew is well-known for his role in FRIENDS as Chandler Bing. This series ran from 1994-2004 and finished with 236 episodes. After FRIENDS became a hit show, Matthew Perry’s new worth ranked $120 million. Matthew became a fan favorite and an icon for many who watched his movies. With all of his success came devastation to millions around the world. On October 28, 2023, Matthew Perry was found unresponsive at his home in Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles. It was confirmed that fifty-four-year-old Matthew Perry died from an apparent drowning in his own hot tub. “We are divested by the passing of our dear friend Matthew Perry,” stated Warner Bros. Matthew’s sudden death created a widespread shock and heartbreak to those who enjoyed seeing him. Matthew Perry will continue to be a fan favorite for years to come and his spirit will stay forever alive. On a 2022 podcast, Perry states, “And I’m glad of that, happy I’ve done some solid work as an actor, as well as given people multiple chances to make fun of my struggles on the world wide web…but when I die, as far as my so-called accomplishments go, it would be nice if Friends were listed far behind the things I did to try to help other people. I know it won’t happen, but it would be nice.” More than anything, Matthew Perry wanted to spend his whole life helping others. Throughout Mathew’s life, he struggled with many addictions and wrote stories to encourage people to seek treatment. Some stories include The Whole Nine Years and even wrote a play, The Ending of Longing. Although Perry has recognizable and memorable roles in classic shows, it’s best to look at the actor as a person. Reflect on more than just the roles that they’ve played. Matthew has helped many people through their addictions and even spent millions of dollars on his own addictions. Stating this, Matthew has come a long way through his addictions and made a successful career. He used this successful career and turned it into something that benefited millions of people across the world.