The Student News Site of Dyer County School High School

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Literary Corner

A Season of Laughter

“April Fools” is shouted by millions on this holiday, April Fools’ Day, exposing the annual custom of jokes and hoaxes. Newspapers, radio stations, television channels, and websites have participated in the tradition by revealing outrageous fictional claims to fool the viewing audience. “ Eighteen percent of Americans can affirm that they have a family tradition of pranking one another on April Fools Day.” revealed an unknown source. Though April Fools Day is celebrated for jokes, it wasn’t always the case in modern times. Historians can date April Fools Day back to 1582 when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar. A summary difference between the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calendar is that the Julian Calendar adds a day to the calendar every 4 years. The Gregorian calendar does the same, however, when the year is divisible by 100 and not by 400. This infers that the leap year is skipped. A different Level of Accuracy: The Julian Calendar was off by 11 minutes every solar year. During this period, people failed to spread the word of the calendar change when the new year had moved to January 1st. Instead, many continued to celebrate it during the last week of March through April 1st. This became how we know April Fools’ Day for the realization of this mistake. However, the trail of its origins ends here mainly because of the fact it can’t be traced to any further than you can Earth Day for example. This holiday consists of laughs and jokes often carried out to great lengths and preparation to celebrate. For example, Dunkin Donuts changed its name to “DONUTS”-as a social media joke. Additionally involving a post that stated, “pls don’t ask any other questions. Just going through it right now.” Adding to the humor of the situation. As well as the pilot flying J Fragrance when they decided to release a cologne that smells exactly like diesel fuel. The fine print read, “Available while supplies last. Except there are no supplies because this is a joke.” These are just a few examples to illustrate how this holiday can be celebrated by anyone. April Fools is a great holiday for all ages to share laughter and joy for the start of a lovely spring season.