The Student News Site of Dyer County School High School

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Tribal Media

Literary Corner

Hidden Behind The Glitter

As December approaches, individuals begin to bring about their holiday traditions to spark joy and magic before the year submerges.  Decorating, a tradition loved by all, brings out the inner child within every adult. Trees are drenched in twinkling lights and fluffy festive garlands. However, in order to make the tree perfect, an assortment of plastic or glass ornaments that are sparkly, colorful, and mismatched are sprinkled around the tree. Wreaths hang upon every door or window throughout towns and cities during this festive season. Dazzling city lights can be seen from miles away, giving joy and happiness to those whose eyes are set upon them. Although the holidays give the opportunity to spend time with family or families, many never get that chance. Hopelessness and depression rest in the hearts of those who find themselves alone during the holidays. A recorded fifty-five percent of Americans experience this sadness (fifty-seven percent of women and fifty-three percent of men)

Percentage of Americans experiencing holiday loneliness (Generations):

Overall: 55%

Gen Zers: 75%

Millennials: 64%

Gen Xers: 50%

Baby Boomers: 39%

(A survey of 2,100 Americans conducted on December 9-13, 2021)

One major cause of this holiday loneliness is the inability to reach their loved ones. Here are some examples:

Not being around loved ones: 41%

Seasonal depression: 37%

Grief: 36%

Aniety about the coronavirus or variants: 24%

Poor relationships with family: 23%

Social Media: 20%

(A survey of 1,158 Americans conducted December 9-13, 2021)

Along with the festive depression, nearly 600,000 Americans spend their holidays freezing without shelter or food. These chilling temperatures often called, deceptive killers, provide no hope for the homeless population. The despairing individuals aren’t thinking about the perfect star to settle at the top of their trees or the most fluffy tree skirt. All focus and thought is on surviving the deadly, chilling night. According to the World Socialist, “So far this year, in Washington, D.C., 117 homeless individuals have lost their lives in the nation’s capital, a huge jump over the 54 recorded in 2018. Santa Clara County, California, home to Silicon Valley, saw 161 homeless deaths. Riverside County, California, recorded 95 deaths; Portland, Oregon, marked 43 deaths, the most in that city since 2015; Salt Lake City, Utah, which recently cut the number of shelter beds by 400, saw 94 homeless deaths; Boulder, Colorado, marked 48 deaths, a doubling from 2018; and in Springfield, Illinois, that state’s capital, 13 homeless people died on the streets this year.” This reveals only a fraction of the fatalities recorded from the rigid and numbing winters brought each year. 

Along with the festive family traditions should come with the spirit of a helping hand. Brian Tracy once stated, “Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it to others.” Giving to others such as the homeless or those struggling with the holiday loneliness provides a safe place to spark their inner child too. It’s like the saying, The secret key to the true spirit of giving is to not expect anything in return. Before adding to your Christmas list, think about volunteering to help out your community or donate this holiday season